Friday, February 11, 2011

"Good Morning Sunshine!"

"Good Morning Sunshine!"

That's what my mom said to me this morning. It's a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. What a perfect start to an unbelievable journey that this weekend will be! Before I embark on this adventure that I've been preparing for during the past years (five years, really), I would love to reflect on one of my favorite parts of the Miss America Organization, the people. Since being involved as a Pre-Teen in the Miss NH Local Organizations, I have met so many people who care and work tirelessly to support and encourage young women. All of the Local Directors have our best interests at heart, and really strive to make us the best people that we can be. The Miss NH Organization has given all of us so many opportunities to learn, grow and serve our community. And we are all very grateful.

Another amazing aspect of the Miss America Organization, is the ability to impact others through service. I originally chose my platform because of one little girl in my hometown. Children's Hospital Boston had made such a difference in her life, so I decided to volunteer. I have learned that Children's Hospital Boston and the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals are so much more...they are a community of incredible people dedicated to providing world class medical care, research, hope and love. I was very inspired by a little boy I met at Christmas time. His strength, laughter and joy touched my heart forever. I am hoping you will all join me on March 1 at IHOP for National Pancake Day to benefit the Children's Miracle Network so we can help fund lots of miracles and help lots of kids in need. www.ihoppancakeday.com

So as I pack, I am thinking of all of the people who have guided, encouraged, supported and touched my life. You have all helped me become the person I am today. I am very grateful.

All of my love, Lauren