Wednesday, February 16, 2011

National Salute to Hospitalized Veterans

I was so lucky to have the opportunity to volunteer at the Veterans Hospital in Manchester, NH for National Salute to Hospitalized Veterans Week on Valentine's Day. It was amazing to hear the stories of these soldiers who were prisoners of war during War World II and the Korean War. Each one of them has such strength and courage. I was inspired when one of the soldiers told us was he still had his pilot license and flies every month! I was so honored when one of the gentlemen handed me a part of the American flag that had a poem on that back that read:

I am part of our American Flag.
I have flown over a home in the U.S.A.
I can no longer fly.
The Sun and Winds have caused me to become tattered and torn.
Please carry me as a reminder that you are not forgotten.

This was an experience that I know I will cherish for the rest of my life. These men and women are the heart of our country and I am very thankful for everything they have done to protect us.

With Love and Honor, Kamilah